Monday 24 December 2012

Project 1: Percussion Solos

Side Drum

I tried to use some of the pipe band drumming elements that I had read about such as the Scotch Snap rhythm and Flams.



Suspended Cymbal

I used the suspended cymbal example in the course notes as a starting point for this. I tried to create a similarly mysterious, almost sinister piece. 



Tambourine

This tambourine solo is built around some variations of the Habanera rhythm, adding elements such as trills and grace notes. It adds something a bit different, bars 5-6 are based around a rumba rhythm.



Wood Blocks

Again, I used the wood blocks example in the course notes as a starting point, but I wanted to do something slightly different. Having been learning a few songs out of West Side Story, I wanted to use the same time signature variation that Bernstein uses in 'America'; alternating 6/8 and 3/4 with strong emphasis on the 2 vs. 3 beats in a bar. I started with a basic 2 bar pattern then, using a rondo-esque structure I built on it each time it returns. It was only after writing this that I noticed that variable metre is introduced on the next page . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment