Sunday 24 March 2013

Project 7: Exploring Different Scales

Flute Whole-Tone Scale

I wanted to use the dexterity of the flute to shape the melody, but found the whole tone scale quite limiting to work with as there are a limited number of intervals you can actually use.



Treble Recorder Whole-Tone Scale

I wrote this with a Renaissance dance in mind, but the whole tone scale gives it a distorted, spooky feel which I think works quite effectively.



Oboe East European Major Scale

I found it difficult to use this scale and keep a feel of major tonality to it. I tried to use different parts of the oboe's register to colour the melody.



Bassoon East European Minor Scale

I wrote this as 2 similar phrases; one very high in the bassoon's register, the other towards the bottom. I felt this scale had much more of a minor feel to it than the previous one.




Clarinet Middle Eastern Eight-Note Scale

I found this scale difficult to write in because it has no real sense of tonality to it; it is hard to tell whether it is major or minor. 



Tenor Saxophone Middle Eastern Eight-Note Scale

Like the previous piece, I found this scale quite difficult to write in as I struggled to fit what I wanted into the notes available. 



Flute Nine-Note Scale

I based the first phrase loosely on a dominant seventh in the key of C, but the final scales at the end create the impression the piece ends in E Major. The extra chromatic notes in the scale were useful in ornamenting the melodic line.



Oboe Nine-Note Scale

I noticed that, from the notes of the scale, you could write a melody in either A Major or A minor so this is what I did; the first phrase is in A Major, the second is the same in A minor but the ending gives a feel of finishing in G Major.



Clarinet Chromatic Scale

I actually found this the easiest to write, mainly because I just used rising and descending chromatic scales for most of it and didn't need to constantly check the notes to see whether they belonged to the scale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment