Sunday 28 July 2013

Prom 4: Les Siècles

I was on holiday the week before last so I missed the opening night of the proms, but the first I was able to see was the Prom by Les Siecles.

They played 'The Rite of Spring', which although not new to me, was different because, like all the other works they played in the concert, it was played on period instruments. Although playing on early 20th Century instruments doesn't create a wildly different sound to modern instruments, there was a rawer, more earthy quality to the sound; it didn't sound as pure as a modern orchestra sound which is somewhat fitting for Rite.

Their repertoire also included works from the 17th and 19th Centuries. I was impressed how the performers were able to switch instruments so easily as many must have required different techniques. Each piece they played had a very different sound to it as a result. By starting with the oldest piece, the sound became more familiar are the concert went on.

They played Lully's 'Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme' where the conductor kept time by banging a large staff on the ground as apparently was the tradition at the time. I found this somewhat off-putting at first, but I suppose this is no different to the role the percussion section play in modern orchestral works.

No comments:

Post a Comment