Sunday 23 June 2013

Project 11: Inventing free counterpoint

Oboe and Glockenspiel

I took the first melody in example 47 and gave it to the oboe; I then wrote a companion melody for the glockenspiel. I wanted to add movement in the glockenspiel melody in the middle where the oboe has long notes, but to complement the oboe melody where it has movement.



Flute and Bassoon

I took the second melody in example 47 and gave to the bassoon; I then wrote a companion melody for the flute. The idea was for the 2 melodies to meet where the bassoon has staccato notes, but the flute to have the opposite rhythmic pattern to the bassoon. The last bar of the flute melody is designed to lead into the last 2 notes of the bassoon melody.



Clarinet, Snare Drum and Marimba

I decided to write for this group of instruments as I had a sort of upbeat melody in mind, so the addition of the snare drum creates a military feel. I wrote the clarinet melody to have emphasis on the 2nd beat, which feels slightly un-natural in a 3/4 time signature. The marimba melody moves at the same time as clarinet melody, with tremolos on the 2nd beat of the bar for emphasis.



Flute, Timpani and Tubular Bells

I thought the flute and tubular bells would work well together, particularly at a slow tempo. The tubular bells mimic the flute melody, but with a different ending. I added the timpani to provide additional texture; quiet rolls to mimic thunder and create tension.

No comments:

Post a Comment