Sunday 9 June 2013

Research Point: Henry Purcell

When researching Purcell rounds and catches I found the following playlist on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioiOJf7YsX4&list=PL52CF65EACA871B81

I found these videos useful as they also show the sheet music so you can see how the round is set out, though you need to do a bit of work to see how the parts move when put together.


Come, let us drink (Z245)

My first thought when hearing this was how long the opening theme was before the second voice entered, and thus how much thought and planning must have gone into composing it; there are moments when each part moves together in thirds while the number of beats in the bar is constantly changing (though these may be editorial).


Once, twice, thrice I Julia try'd (Z265)


I think the most effective thing about this round is how the opening melody is slow moving, with many rests, but once combined in full the other parts move in these rests. He also writes it so that when one part has a held note another part moves, and vice versa, to create a constant flow to the music. The line "fo kif's my ar", when combined with the first line of the round, sounds as "fo kif's my arse", which is amusing but I'm not sure if this translates the same in Old English. 



Since time so kind to us doth prove (Z272)

The most effective thing about this round is how Purcell sets out the words and music so the singers sound like they are having a conversation or argument with one another; you have the great effect of "I must", "what do you mean?", "I must", "Oh fye". This effect only becomes apparent once the 3rd and final voice is added to the texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment